Wednesday, March 30, 2016

WHAT IS ALL THIS STUFF !

WHY DO WE KEEP STUFF!
 
I recently had to go to the bank to look for something in my safety deposit box. Now, I had not been in it for some time and when I opened it I remembered that the last time I was in this position I asked my self "WHAT IS ALL THIS STUFF"? So here I was asking my self the same thing again. To add to the conundrum,  I could not find what I was looking for either.
There was so much STUFF that there was no more room to put any thing else in the box!

So instead of just closing the box and handing it back to the teller I decided to empty it and take every thing home to sort through it.
Now keep in mind I have had this box for nearly 35 years. What little treasures had we put into this 2" x 4" x 24" plastic box? 
 
 
 
 
Here is what I found:
My Birth certificate intact and over a half a century old,
Baptism record for our son Nickolas, along with some very old chocolate cigars to share with him at a later date. They look pretty scary!
Receipt for the down payment on our house we purchased in 1992.
several items tucked inside of the envelope with the receipt,
Receipts for the fridge and stove we purchased from Eatons in 1992.
I just bought a new Fridge about two months ago and paid a lot less then than now.
Receipts for Linda's wedding and engagement rings and other jewelry.
receipt for a piano we bought from friends.
Baptism records for Linda and a booklet given to her when she was born.
Clippings of the kids hair from their first hair cuts,
immunization records,
and the list goes on.

As I sifted thru all the pieces of paper, I reminisced of going through a box of my Grandparents belongings and how it told a story about their life journey and some of the less important events that took place in their lives but were important enough for them to keep the paperwork.

So in true style I threw a few pieces of papers out (mostly envelopes) but kept most of it to put back into the box so when my children look through the same papers they will see a few less important life events that took place in Linda and my lives, leaving them to wonder "WHAT IS ALL THIS STUFF!"






 

No comments:

Post a Comment